7.20.2005

終わった

And there it is - my duties as an ALT for Toyosato-cho are finished. I haven't been sure if i made the right choice to contract or not. Lately i have been wishing i was staying on, i have really gotten to know some of the students and teachers quite well, and many people seem sad that i am leaving. Maybe it just took time to get used to being here, or used to the different styles, or used to the rowdy kids at my school. Maybe the only reason i feel like this at all is because I AM leaving - that is, it seems bittersweet and i think i would maybe want another year, but if i actually had another year, maybe i would be miserable. Anyways, i had to give my farewell speech at school today, with a nice mix of English and (probably incorrect) Japanese. Anyways, for whatever odd reason i decided to put it on here. The Japanese isn't perfect, but it was understood enough that some of the students cried, so I figure I must have made a pretty good impression and done an ok job this year.

一年間前、日本に来ました。 あの時は、豊郷町を全然知りませんでした。あの時は友だちがいませんでした。 (One year ago, I came to Japan. At that time, I didn't know Toyosato town at all. At that time, I didn't have any friends.)

But many things can change in one year. Now, my life is in Toyosato.

あなたたちはいつも親切です。 ひまがあったら、あなたたちはいつも私と話しました。一年間のあと、今は 豊日中学校に友だちがたくさんいます。(All of you are always kind. When you had free time, you would always talk to me. Now, after one year, I have many friends at Toyosato Junior High School.)

Thank you for being my friend.

それと、英語のじゅうぎょうは楽しかったです。 (That, and English class was fun)

English can be very difficult, but you all tried very hard.

この一年、とてもよかったです。もうすぐアメリカに帰ります。私は、さびしくなりました。そのあと、日本に戻りたい。(This (one) year was very good. Soon i will go back to America. I have become sad. After that, I want to come back to Japan.)

But, you should all also go to America. Come visit me in Minnesota.

豊郷町のこと、 豊日中学校のこと、あなたたちの友情をぜたい忘れません。(Toyosato town, Hojitsu Junior High, and all of your friendship, I surely won't forget.)

今はさよならじゃありません。いつか、どこか、会えます。その時までに、たいへんありがとございます。(Now isn't goodbye. Sometime, somewhere, we will meet again. Until that time, thank you very much.)

Thank you all very much. I had a wonderful time, and I will see you all later.

バイバイ (Bye bye).

2 Comments:

Blogger pik reckons...

Nice one Dan. Which a few little tweaks (name changes etc) I've got meself a leaving speech!

7:46 午後 JST  
Anonymous 匿名 reckons...

I wish I could have heard it-you;ve done yourself proud

11:05 午前 JST  

コメントを投稿

<< Home