10.22.2004

There are many riotous moments to be had attempting to get the necessary vaccinations for a pending excursion let me tell you. Even though Jeff had kindly agreed to accompany me and provide translation, the search for a suitable clinic soon became an epic Holy Grail type quest.
Slightly unnerving to be asked by a doctor (when located) which vaccinations were required. Wait, don't you know? You're the doctor. I'm going to Thailand - inject me! To his credit he enlisted me on a three month programme of inocculation, including vaccines for encephalitis (how I laughed at his everchanging pronuciation of this word - how he and his staff laughed at my inability to say even basic words in Japanese - touché), rabies, tetanus, hepatitis A ad infinitum. The reasoning for this is I supect, that one of the vaccines I'll be loaded with has got to be the one I actually needed.

The total cost of this programme amounts to more than the entire cost of my planned excursion but hell, I'll be superhuman! My immune system will be impregnable! I'll laugh and sing as I wade through waste deep sewage with cuts on my legs, rabid bats hanging from my carotid arteries. I'll whistle as I happily share needles with all who offer - heroin, my favourite, thanks!

What am I talking about? Is there a vaccine for chu hi hangovers?

6 Comments:

Anonymous 匿名 reckons...

I don't think you really need vaccinations. I was there for 2 months, and didn't do even one vaccination (although I've done the hepatitis one few years ago which I presumed was still fine). I was worried about malaria because I was going to Laos as well, but there is no danger of malaria in Thailand now. Also, the japanese doctor told me that, for malaria I would have to take medicines before, durind and after the travel and can not drink alcohol, right? So, that one is not good for you. In fact, Thailand is more developed than that country at the eastern most point of the European continent, which name starts with a P, so don't worry too much and save that money for all other special treats you will find in Thailand;)

1:45 午前 JST  
Blogger pik reckons...

Country beginning with a P...hmmm, Poland? Paris? No wait, Paris isn't a country. This is difficult. You certainly are a riddler Anonymous.

12:26 午後 JST  
Blogger Jeffrey reckons...

このコメントはブログの管理者によって削除されました。

9:27 午後 JST  
Blogger pik reckons...

Hayata, last time I went there a doctor put his finger up my ass. I've shyed away since then.

7:42 午前 JST  
Anonymous 匿名 reckons...

Tsk, tsk. You and doctors! No wonder you keep moving - news must spread in the local medical community about your bizarre requests to doctors. Did he have no sudocrem? Perhaps you should be less selective with your "target markets". Have you tried dentists? Or maybe chiropodists? Perhaps they don't move in the same social or professional circles. Maybe, to be safe, you should try someone like an ornithologist. Mind you that's not a job, more of a hobby, so you may be unlucky and happen across someone who is both a doctor AND an ornithologist.

4:51 午前 JST  
Blogger pik reckons...

Really Anonymous, with comments like this I insist you sign a name somewhere - the Sudocrem reference points to only one candidate in any case. Rest assured I looked for Dr Sande, but alas, he was nowhere to be found.

Apologies to others for the obliqueness of this, and particularly to Jefu whose comment, above, I foolishly deleted for no reason, entirely by accident.

7:21 午前 JST  

コメントを投稿

<< Home